Friday 12 July 2013

Shannon McRoberts Author Interview

1) Can you start by telling us a little about yourself?

I am just your average mother and wife.  I work all day at a desk job that doesn't pay enough and is rather boring.  But, I am grateful to have the job and I get to practice writing while there b/c I have to write a lot.  I love to play MMORPGs when I get a chance, but between my fantasy worlds in the books and the fantasy art I create I don't have a lot of time to game anymore.  Oh and then there is day job work.  BLEAH!   

2) How did you get into writing?

I went to a lot of schools where you had to write.  I've written many technical papers and many technical things at the jobs I've had.  However, creative writing actually started for me with poetry.  I don't know what it is about poetry, but in 3 seconds I can tell if what I wrote is good or trash.  Prose isn't that easy.  I tried many times to make stories, but it took me until 2004 to actually get an idea and start writing it.  That turned out to be The Secret of Genetic Corp X.  Then I had an idea for another story that I thought was trash and gave up.  I later resurrected it to become a major part of Athine Verses: The Beginning.  

3) Let’s talk about one of your books. What is it about?

Verses of Athine:  The Daughter of Ares Chronicles is about Athine, the Daughter of Ares, and the world she lives in.  Through out the story she meets and interacts with notable mythological characters you may know...Zeus, Hera, Ares, Dragons, Vampires, Vlad....or do you know them?  I have been told I take mythology of all kind and turn it on its ear.  You really should visit the trailer I made for the book too.  I'm not the best trailer maker, but the art work is all my own and it is set to some cool music I purchased at Renderosity.    

4) What inspired you to write the book? Are the characters based on anyone?

I love fantasy and things with strong female leads.  I have watched too much Buffy, Xena, and Red Sonja to ever write a lady in distress romance.  My ladies pick up giant weapons and have larger than life powers.  I think Athine is probably a part of myself.  Really all of the main characters can be said to be small pieces of me, but what writer doesn't have at least one character that is the embodiment of them.  

5) Are you working on another book at the moment?

The next book in my series Cursed Bloods has been started and outlined.  I am trying to sit down and write it.  I find it hard to do sometimes!  I think this one may be close the 50,000 word mark because I have 12,000 in and no chapter has been completed yet AND I don't have half of them written :)  I also have a brief idea about what book 6 in the series may bring and possibly a few short stories.  

twitter:  @obsidianpoet

No comments:

Post a Comment