Friday 19 July 2013

Rebecca Odum Interview



Let’s kick things off by talking about you. What can you tell us?

I am a new author who grew up and still lives in a small town in Georgia. When I am not writing I love reading, singing and hanging out with friends. I also love watching TV and movies.
Can you tell us how you got into writing?

My love of reading and writing started at an early age. When I was little, my grandma used to take me upstairs to her attic. She’d tell me stories, though later I was the boss of said stories. Had I known how to write at age five I would’ve written them down and I firmly believe it’s my grandmother’s stories that made me fall in love with writing and telling stories.

Can you tell us about your book? What is it about?

My book is called Captured Minds and is the first of a two part series.
From the moment she could speak Raven has soaked up information like a sponge, taking the Upper Level graduation exam at age eleven. Misunderstood by her peers, she spends the next seven years helping in Zoar’s library. When she is selected to participate in a competition between Zoar and what everyone calls The Other World she is elated at the chance to finally bring some hope to a struggling Zoar.

Yet when Zoar’s ruler is killed unexpectedly, secrets start to emerge, beginning with a shoebox of letters addressed to her parents from a man residing in The Other World. Along with her sisters Ava and Kate and a team of new friends, Raven sets out to uncover the dark secrets hidden in the shadows of Zoar and to bring about a truth that will free two lands.

 
What inspired you to write Captured Minds? Are the characters based on anyone from real life that you know?

I have always loved books dealing with the mind and specifically if the mind and memories were altered somehow. I also loved the idea of creating my own world. I’d always wanted to do it and during finals my senior year in college (a really bad time to get a story idea, let me tell you) the idea for Zoar struck me. 

I’d been toying around with other ideas but settled on Zoar. The character of Raven is based off me in some ways. Though I don’t have the same struggles she does, I do know what it’s like to face challenges every day. I was born sixteen weeks early (that’s three and a half months) weighing one pound. I have an eye condition called ROP. It’s a condition that affects premature babies. 

I have limited vision in my left eye and none in my right. Though my visual impairment has presented challenges I am not one to give up. I have always enjoyed reading and writing about characters that I can relate to and Raven is no exception.

Is there anything you are working on at the moment and can you tell us a little about it?

I am working on the sequel to Captured Minds as well as a separate novel that I am having so much fun with. Title reveal for the sequel will come soon!

Rebecca can be found online at:


Twitter: @RaOdum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RAOdum

 



1 comment:

  1. Fun interview to read Terry. Nice answers Rebecca and it shows just enough of your book to entice. :-)

    ReplyDelete