Friday 5 July 2013

Maer Wilson Author Interview

Today we're changing gear from the usual review as my blog is taken over by fellow indie author, Maer Wilson. Enjoy!
1) Can you start by telling readers a little about yourself?
Thanks for having me on your blog today, Terry. I grew up wanting to act and did that professionally until I was in my early thirties. From there I retired and went into business and later teaching Theatre. I have pretty eclectic tastes and enjoy doing a variety of things. I’ve always loved to read, and have been interested in fantasy and later science fiction for many years. I’m a gamer and play several MMOs. Yep, more fantasy and sci fi there. I co-host a literary podcast called MythBehaving and write for two fansites. I have two dogs who are my little loves and keep me entertained.
2) Can you tell us how you got into writing?
I’ve been creating characters for years, beginning back when I acted, so that part of writing, I’ve been doing for ages. About twelve years ago I tried my hand at a musical play, which was pretty awful. But the story was solid and I was able to rewrite it into a non-musical screenplay. It worked much better in that format, but I never did anything with it. After that, I didn’t do much until Relics.
3) Can you tell us about your book. What's it about?
Relics is a Contemporary Fantasy that takes place in San Francisco and follows the exploits of husband and wife detectives, Thulu and La Fi. The couple’s clients are usually dead, which is fine with them since they work only with the supernatural. But their simple job to find lost relics for an ancient daemon turns into a grand adventure when the creatures of myth and magic return to Earth, confirming that humans are definitely not alone.
4) What inspired you to write a story like this? Are the characters based on anyone you know?
No, not at all, the original inspiration came completely from the names Thulu and La Fi. It started as a lark, pretty much. These characters came to me when I made up the names to use as nicknames for some friends. The characters’ pull was so strong I decided to keep the names for myself and see where they took me. They took me into a world that has become loads of fun to visit.
5) Is there anything that you are working on at the moment and can you tell us a little bit about it?
Book 2 in the series is currently with my publisher. I’m working on Book 3 and have two short story prequels in the series, one of which will be coming out soon. While telling almost anything about them would give away spoilers, I will that the series didn’t go where I originally thought it might. The story is far larger than I had anticipated.
Maer Wilson and her book, Relics, can be found at the links below:

Maer’s Website: http://maerwilson.com/
Maer’s Twitter:  https://twitter.com/MaerWilson
Relics - The Book Trailer link on YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2PHs5oGwg


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me stop by today, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool stuff! I was a theatre major who switched to English, so I love all sorts of arts, too.

    ReplyDelete