Friday 10 May 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness Review



What? Two movie reviews in one day? It must be Double Feature Friday again! So anyway, I’m just back from seeing the new Star Trek film, Into Darkness. Throw everything you think you know about the hit sci-fi show out of the airlock because in typical JJ Abrams’ style, we are tearing up the rule book once again. 

First of all I will come right out and say it, I loved this film. I was worried it would fall curse to the sequel but it lived up to the hype. The special effects were top notch and the action comes at you thick and fast, keeping you on the edge of your seat. 

That said though, while the first film (in this series) I found difficult to criticise, this one left me with a few. They are quite minor though but in the interests of fairness I’m going to address them. 

If you saw the first Star Trek (again in this series) you’ll know that a few of the characters say the legendary lines that they’re best known for. However, Into Darkness seems to go a bit overkill with this, especially with McCoy and Scotty. I lost count of how many time McCoy started a sentence with: “I’m a doctor, not a *insert unusual, comedic comparison here*”. Scotty on the other hand was unusual metaphors. Also, I know every Hollywood movie has to have a “cool moment” when the main character says something cool and witty but again, it happens far too often in this film and at times it became very clique. 

Another criticism of mine is the action. I know I praised it earlier but in this film, it never fucking stops. If something isn’t exploding, falling from the sky, exploding some more, everyone’s shouting followed by more explosions - then you’ve reached the credits. Don’t get me wrong, I loved all the action but it was a bit too full on at times. This movie never slowed down for a minute to take a breath. It’s like someone Star Trek on crack. 

One thing I did love is the twist near the end. Once you find out who John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) really is, you will probably act smug like me and think you know how it will end. Trust me though; you have absolutely no idea. 

Also another petit gripe of mine with this film if how often the crew have lucky, skin-of-the-teeth, escapes. I know again that this happens in most high-octane (or should that be rocket fuel?) movies but it happens at least three times in this film, again making a bit over the top. 

Despite all that though, Into Darkness lives up to expectations and definitely delivers what it promises. I don’t know if I would say it was better than the previous one, but at the same time I wouldn’t say it was any worse. The ending itself though makes the silly bits worth enduring.

Into Darkness gets 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment