Friday 24 May 2013

Blade of The Divided Review



It’s Friday again and time for another ebook review (you lucky people). Up this week is Blade of the Divided, the second in CJ Sullivan’s series about angels. 

If you have not read the first one then I seriously suggest you do before taking a look at this one. Although the second book will fill you in on the main points of its predecessor, you will probably be confused.

Anyway, Blade of the Divided starts off three days after where Wings of the Divided ended. For recap purposes, fallen angel Laphelle turned against the forces of evil - who he was working for - and lopped his wings off. He wakes up in a church where Gidyon - a good angel - finds him. Gidyon was also in the previous tale fighting against Laphelle and his mismatched band of doom bringers. After convincing Laphelle that he is the main player in a prophecy the two set off to find out how said prophecy ends and what it has to do with them.

This was a good sequel to the original. Laphelle and Gidyon’s clash of personality’s leads to some very funny situations as well as deeper moments between the two and you can see a profound, steady change in both characters as the story progresses. Other characters from the first book also make a welcome return, like Noam and Malynko (though there was not enough of Noam in my opinion). 

One thing I did not like much was the constant change of settings; it just felt a little disorientating. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed some of the worlds Laphelle and Gidyon travelled too and they were all well portrayed, but I just didn’t think so many locations were needed. 

Also there were a few moments when I felt things went a little over the top, which I will not spoil here *coughtalkingdragoncough*. 

But ultimately this was an enjoyable and funny story. The dark moments were also very gritty and edgy, which added yet another dimension to the mix. I loved the characters and I enjoyed the comedy, but I missed Edenton. 

Blade of the Divided gets 7/10. 
You can buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment