Friday 10 May 2013

A Knight's Tale Review

Ok, so I've taken a break from reading indie novels this week to bring you a film review (only because I've not finished the book that I'm reading...shh).

Anyway, I watched A Knight's Tale earlier this week for the first time in a few years. This isn't a new film, or even recent, given that it came out in 2001. The movie stars the late Heath Ledger as William, a peasant who pretends to be a knight in order to enter jousting tournaments and win money for his friends. William is only forced into the situation after his master dies from a jousting related injury and obviously, cannot therefore finish the tournament. After successfully riding in his place and winning, he convinces his friends Watt and Roland to help him continue with the charade.

A Knight's Tale is one of those films that doesn't take itself too seriously. It does use the over-used movie storyline of the liar-revealed but it works well because the concept is so different to so many other films. The story is simple to follow and there is a lot of great acting, especially from Heath Ledger. It isn't a laugh-a-minute comedy but the jokes are usually dialogue driven but not silly.

It is also good to watch a film starring Heath Ledger again. I feel he would have went on to star in many greater roles if he was still with us. And considering that he was only about 20 when A Knight's Tale was made, even then you could tell how natural his gift for acting was.

If you've not seen it, I definitely suggest you do. This film is a great little comedy gem.

2 comments:

  1. Watch the Commentary if you have the DVD. It has Paul Bettany as one of the speakers, and it is both interesting and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't actually have the film on DVD, despite having liked it since it came out. I saw it the other day on Lonvefilm but I'll see if I can find the commentary on youtube. Chances are it will be there. :)

    ReplyDelete