Friday 31 January 2014

Ebook Review: Tail of the Devil



This paranormal adventure about a 15-year-old homeless kid was an enjoyable read. Poor Mathias gets handed a shit lot in life after his parents die and he is adopted by his auntie - who unfortunately turns out to be crazy. After running away, the youngster ends up at death’s door before being saved by a vampire. The rest of the book focuses on Mathias coming to terms with what he now is, as well as his past. 

I really enjoyed this story. Mathias, the main character, was not perfect and had a lot issues which made him interesting on a lot of levels. The story does well portraying his journey from changing from a suspicious, foul-mouthed, pained youth into a respectable, fully-functional member of the vampire fraternity.
Most of the story is set in a school for vampires, where they study and learn magic - a bit like Harry Potter, expect without all of the bullshit. That’s the only similarity between the two and then they part company - which I will give a thumbs up to (God, I hate Harry Potter).

Moving swiftly on, I think teenagers would really enjoy this book. The character is relatable (purely on a non-vampiric level) and the story flows well from one part to the next. I wish this book was out ten years ago when I was that age - instead of f*cking Harry Potter. 

The book does get a little bogged down early on with its back story to Mathias’s previous life. For a while I got easily confused about what happened and what relevance it had to the characters in modern times. This could have been a bit tidier. I also felt the ending was little rushed but other than that, this was a very interesting story which kept my attention all the way though.

1 comment: